Ride fast, and Garmin’s new Varia UT800 high-intensity cycling headlamp automatically reaches forward – blasting out an impressive 800 lumens to clearly show the way. Ride slow, and its output decreases. This time, concentrating the dimmer beam closer to your front wheel where you need it most. And, when set at full power, it’s bright beam is visible in daylight from over 1.6 km away – helping to keep you safe while out on the roads.
Whether you’re riding on the streets or enjoying a winding trail, the last thing you want to do is quit just because the sun goes down. Fortunately, Garmin’s recently launched Varia UT800 high-intensity cycling headlamp has budding night owls covered.
First up, the smart capabilities of the Varia UT800 allow you to pair it to compatible Edge computers kitted-out with light sensors. Once paired, it’ll then automatically adjust its beam intensity based on your speed and ride profile – providing you with more light when riding faster, and conserving battery power when you’re going at slower speeds. It also automatically adjusts output to match changing light conditions and the remaining battery capacity to help extend your ride even further. And it only takes a simple touch of your Edge, or a dedicated remote, to turn the light on or off, control its brightness and more.
Apart from being able to crank out full power for up to 1.5 hours straight, the Varia UT800 features five light modes; high (800 lumens), medium (400 lumens), low (200 lumens), night flash (100 – 300 lumens) and day flash (more than 700 lumens). At full power, it is visible in daylight from over 1.6 km away. Each mode can be selected manually by simply pressing the button on its side. Plus its battery is said to hold its charge for an entire year if not in use.
Featuring a sleek, good-looking profile and weighing a mere 130 grammes. The UT800 comes standard with a bike mount, but can also be easily attached to helmets when using Garmin’s standard Vented Helmet Strap Mount. And its IPX7 waterproof rating means it has no problems getting caught in the rain. – (c) 2017 NavWorld
Varia UT800 features at a glance
- High-intensity headlight for urban and trail use.
- CREE LED with a maximum output of 800 lumens
- Automated Intensity Mode works independently or pairs with compatible Edge devices
- 5 light modes: High (1.5 hrs), Medium (3 hrs), Low (6 hrs), Night Flash (6 hrs), Day Flash (25 hrs)
- Sleek profile weighing just 130 grams
- Dimensions (LxWxH): 96.6 x 33.5 x 29.7 mm; 44.7 mm with flange
- High visibility in daylight from more than 1.6 km away
- Connects seamlessly to compatible Edge devices, enabling features like Auto On/Off, brightness control and automated power management etc.
- Degrees of visibility: 270 degrees